Moved...Part 1


We moved, again.  I feel like I’ve moved more often than most members of active military. Since ’01, I have moved 8 times:
  1. Malibu --> Amherst
  2. Amherst --> Santa Monica/Ohio
  3. Santa Monica/Ohio --> Wilshire/Bundy
  4. Wilshire/Bundy --> Santee Court
  5. Santee Court --> PE Lofts
  6. PE Lofts --> SB Manhattan
  7. SB Manhattan --> Pegasus
  8. Pegasus --> Mozaic
I’ll point out so humbly, I’m a pro at moving. We did a couple of things differently for this move, and I’m totally sold on making sure all of our moves go this way in the future.
For this move we used RePax for our moving boxes. These are heavy duty green crates that stack.  We didn’t want to use cardboard boxes at all.  After a move is concluded, I have always hated how I have these cardboard boxes that I have to find some way to toss out (or recycle) these boxes. Getting boxes out to the recycle bin is a total waste of my time - that is why in the past I’ve always asked (or implied) Alex to break down the boxes and get them out to where ever they are supposed to go.
I ordered the two-bedroom bundle, with 35 crates and three dollies. The Next time I will order the three-bedroom bundle.  We don’t have a lot of stuff, but Iolani has a lot of fluffy toys...I have poorly organized cupboards, and Alex has a lot of bits and pieces that just don’t pack efficiently.  We ran out of green containers about 3/4 the way through packing. 
When packing, it was great that we could just stuff the crates, making them impossibly heavy.  As long as we put empty crates on top of the heavily packed crate, we could get a lot of our stuff in them.  
When it came time to move the crates, it was awesome because the movers could take 5 or 10 of them at one time.  This saved a lot of time - both getting things out of the old apartment and into the next one.
Then, when it came to unpacking, my favorite part - I could tell when I had 10 boxes to go...5 boxes to go...1 box to go... and finally - All done!  OMG - when I got down to 6 crates left, I couldn’t help myself.  I kept emailing the Repax folks to tell them I was almost done.  I’m sure I was the most annoying customer they’ve ever had. And, here’s why:
  1. Because this was such a last minute move, if I didn’t need to be somewhere in person, and I could have someone do something in my place...that’s how it happened.  The RePax folks delivered the crates to the Pegasus...and INSIDE our apartment.  When I got home from work, all the packing materials were inside the apartment.  We went back and forth, with me asking for an earlier delivery, later delivery, what kind of delivery.  I’m sure all they needed me to say was “Drop them off in the living room, and enjoy the traffic back to Culver City”
  2. Pick up was tricky...because I made it tricky.  Last night, I still had over 10 green crates to unpack before a Monday pick up.  This morning I sent a desperate email asking for them to list me as their very last pick up.  They accommodated my request. I’m sure at some point I wore out my welcome, but...hey...I’m needy.  Imagine my surprise when I finished unpacking the last crate at 11 a.m.!  I thought it would take me longer.  I immediately emailed RePax and let them know I was done!  (in my head I was thinking “OMG!!! I AM DONE UNPACKING!!!!) They emailed me back, offered congratulatory words of encouragement, and that they’d be there between 4 and 6 p.m.
Then my meeting ran late, and 4 p.m. came and went.  I was so happy to get their phone call when I was only two minutes away.  The guys showed, took the crates, and that was that.  Our house looks almost moved in.  
The customer service with RePax was awesome.  When you crunch the numbers, the crates are cheaper than cardboard boxes.  Additional bonus: there’s no tape.  Your order includes labels for the boxes and a package of zip-ties.  The zip-ties were very helpful in locking up the crates with stuff that Iolani shouldn’t get into (the under the sink stuff) and crates with sensitive or valuable items.
Besides, the important thing when moving is that you shouldn’t accumulate any more things.  Using RePax - our house had no net increase in cardboard! (or tape).  I would say, the only thing missing - a couple of larger crates that act as wardrobe boxes for the closet stuff (and wedding gowns).  But, in my best WonderPets impersonation - Two Thumbs Up!
Next up - The movers!