She is self aware.

I think I might have put Iolani down for bed for at least the 725th time. Since her her birth, I’ve been around for all but three nights.  While her overall bedtime routine has changed very little, every night is different. Some nights bathtime runs a little long as the toys can be quite exciting, or additional effort is needed to scrub off finger paint from the day.

Before those pesky teeth popped up, she went from tub to bed. Now that Iolani has teeth, the last moment of bonding and conversation is spent with the toothbrush. I’ve tried to brush her hair while she’s brushing her teeth. Jury’s still out on that.  She doesn’t mind getting her hair brushed.  However, when I turn to finish brushing her teeth… it’s magic – her teeth disappear under her tongue or she curves her lip. I’ve had to figure out how to coax her teeth out. 

Once the teeth are cleaned, we say goodnight to the bathroom.  No, really – we say “Good Night Bathroom”.  I used to say “Say good night to the pretty baby” but saying good night to the bathroom seems a little less corny.  Plus, she says it loud enough to serve as an alarm to Alex to meet us in her bedroom for pajamas and some reading.

Most nights getting pajamas on her is an absolute battle. It usually takes a coordinated effort between Alex and I to get the diaper, the top and bottom on her. If you are a parent and you are laughing at us because it takes two of us to get her dressed – I’m fine with that. Either of us could do it by ourselves, but there’s something about the two of us making sure she’s dressed for bed.

Then, it’s time for books. I fully admit, we are total suckers. At one point I was reading 6 or 7 books every night. Then I realized it was her ploy to stay up longer. Now I just read 2 or 3 books. Tonight I got through three books and she asked me to turn off the light. 

And, as soon as she goes to bed…I blog and Alex rushes around the house looking for things to put up on eBay.

Nowadays it is very odd for her to wake up in the middle of the night. She goes through short bits when she wakes up at 3 or 4, usually for a good reason. You know like molars, Moe fell off the bed, or a full moon….


6 comments:

RubyMcGee said...

you make me wish for a blog when John was young...

Sandie said...

I used to hold Woody while Bill slipped on the pants, shirt... Your post definitely brought memories!

鄭雅雯 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

琬群學葉安高 said...

一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼......................................... ........................

廷家祥家祥雯 said...

看到大家都留言-我也忍不住說聲---加油..................................................

8468 said...

成功多屬於那些很快做出決定,卻又不輕易變更的人。而失敗也經常屬於那些很難做出決定,卻又經常變更的人.................................................... ............