Election night 2008

Ahh, it's almost done. 

The last of the campaign advertising, pampleting, and door knocking is here.

The campaign interns are starting to plan election night parties.

And, the rest of us are looking forward to spending our money on holiday gifts and not campaign contributions.

The three of us are going to spend election night here at the house.  Alex might join me in blogging, and I've volunteered to live blog for greenchange.org.

I'll be watching for a couple of things:

Measure R: R is for Rail...and for God's sake people, LA needs more Rail.  Yes.

Prop 1a - the high speed bond.  I'm voting Yes! You all know I love the train and am ready to swear off the airport.

Prop 2 - Treatment of Farm Animals.  I don't know how I'm going to vote on this one.  I don't necessarily agree with GPCA's recommendations.

Prop 3 - Childrens Hospital Bond.  All bonds, except for Barry Bonds are fine with me.  Bonds for kids...fine.

Prop 4 - No.  If my daughter has decided to take responsibility for her own reproductive choices, then at least I know she will be able to exercise them safely.

Prop 5 - Yes.  Alternatives to incarceration  for nonviolent drug offenses - like Drug Treatment sounds like a good idea.

Prop 6 - No.  If he couldn't get his colleagues to agree with him, what makes him think it's still a good idea?  And, the additional kicker is that a republican is proposing a program that costs Billions of dollars. 

Prop 7 - No.  Crazy kids, this is why we need tougher rules on getting props on the ballot.  It's already hard enough to get enough power. 

Prop 8 - No.  Also known as Prop Hate.  This would allow the state to tell us who we can and cannot marry.  Crazy evangelicals put this on the ballot and if you vote Yes...you are just a misguided person who shouldn't be voting in the first place.

Prop 9 - No.  If you've read the blog, you know that my mother was murdered in 1994.  While the two men who did this were sentenced to two consecutive life sentences.  It's not until you get into the system do you find out that two life sentences can translated into 30 years in prison before there's an opportunity for parole. I have a responsibility to my mom to make sure the two men truly serve the two consecutive sentences.  So, every year in June (the anniversary of their sentencing date) like clockwork, I place a call to check in on the two men.  As a crime victim I feel there are more than enough laws on the books, policies in place to protect my rights.

Prop 10: Blah blah blah.  No.

Prop 11  No. For as much as I hate it when redistricting comes around, I would not like the way this proposition would end up doing it.

Prop 12  Yes.  It's a bond!  It's for Veterans!  Voting no is dumb, if  for any other reason than - you know these people fought in senseless wars, and it probably really effed them up...let's make sure they can have a home.

Candidates:
Cynthia McKinney - Okay...if you are in California and registered Green...you can safely vote for Cynthia.  If you are in Nevada or any other state in play, you know you gotta vote for Obama.  All you Green-Greens can get mad all  you want, but until we can change the electoral system...that's all we can do.   Besides, I think Obama's the best thing the Democratic Party's had since they invented the internet and sliced bread.


Linda Piera-Avila  Live in Santa Monica?  I remember when I got this email from Linda saying that she was thinking about running for Santa Monica City Council...and then...her website was up, she was heading out for endorsement meetings.  As a councilwoman she'd service Santa Monica well.

That's it.  Granted I can't vote for Linda, and there's a couple of races in my own neighborhood I need to be concerned about - I figured it would be good to get Linda some additional shout-outs. 

Iolani's slept the whole time I've been working on this...I'm going to go check on her...and you are going to vote no on 8.

Don't forget...Rally tomorrow!  For those coming into the neighborhood, be nice...pick up after yourselves. 

Alex, Iolani and I won't be there...we are going to a wedding almost 20 years in the making!

No comments: