Do you think you might still deliver "down there"

Yesterday was week #2 of weekly baby doctor visits.  Last week Iolani and I got a quick look over to make sure all was well.  The doctor couldn't stay long because there was a city-wide outbreak of baby deliveries, and Dr. Park had to rush off.  Which was fine with me.  I figure once we go into labor, we'd want Dr. Park to rush to our aid ASAP too!

Yesterday, Dr. Park checked for her heartbeat (still there, no surprise).  Strong heart beat, long legs, and everything else was looking just fine.  So, I ask "How much do you think she weighs about now"

He says - good question.

So, a couple of additional ultrasound screens later he says - not quite 8 pounds.  
He continues in a comforting yet unsettling tone - Do you think you might still deliver "down there"

And, my reply is - probably not, but let's try anyways!
(All the while, I'm thinking....Ya, let's try to push Iolani through when it might be obvious to everyone in the room she's not going to fit.  But, I'll keep thinking good thoughts that maybe a c-section won't be in the cards.  Ya.  pffff.  WTF) 

wait a minute.

This is what is running through my head: 
"eight pounds, eight pounds, EIGHT POUNDS....no no this can't be right, it's all water, it can't be all her...oh my god, I'm going to delivery 8 pounds, oh my god, I need to have this child right now, eight pounds"

You read it, now think it ten times faster.

The upside is that Dr. Park doesn't think I'll make our next appointment.  (jinx)

The downside is that the crib was supposed to be delivered yesterday, and it wasn't.  The UPS guy didn't see anyone at the security desk, didn't try to call the leasing office, and didn't want to take the crib and mattress out of the truck.  So, he left.  He didn't even leave a note. 

At the end of the day, Iolani's doing well.  We've come a long way from "OMG, I'm pregnant" to "OMG, we are 5 1/2 months pregnant" to a healthy little girl who's ready to get out of the confines of my body.  

Besides, we've got a a travel bed ready for her just in case the UPS guy fails us again.  

2 comments:

Kim said...

Been there, done that ...

(This is what is running through my head:
"eight pounds, eight pounds, EIGHT POUNDS....no no this can't be right, it's all water, it can't be all her...oh my god, I'm going to delivery 8 pounds, oh my god, I need to have this child right now, eight pounds")

You can do it and YOU WILL forget the exact details with time. Especially looking into the eyes of your new beautiful baby!

Good Luck,

Hatchetgirl said...

Hey Ginny! Ronan's mama here - you just try to breath. You are a-ok and that kiddo of yours will be too. :) Looking forward to another baby in the neighborhood!