The Plan

Alex picked me up from work yesterday.  Mostly because when I left for work I broke down in tears because I didn't sleep well because I had leg cramps that kept me from rolling over.  (So, getting up at 3:45 in the morning to rush to the bathroom isn't just a pain in terms of sleep, but in terms of real honest to goodness pain) I told him that I wouldn't be able to take the bus home because I had to stand and wait for it.

He bought it.  But it's TRUE!  The wait for the bus is no fun.  Even when I watch the timetable, I can expect 20 minutes of standing, shifting my weight side to side.  Waiting for the bus like a little kid waits for Santa Claus.

In any case, he picked me up from work, and in the backseat was the car seat.  Then, it hits home - a couple of weeks from now we will have a little girl to put into the car seat.  It is a little trippy to see a car seat in the back of a Mini Cooper.  I'm sure that it will cause people to pause because when you think Mini Cooper, the vision isn't one of a family-mobile.  But - it is.  

On our way home Alex had a couple of questions all around the inevitable "going into labor" circumstances.  I think he's convinced (I may have played a role in this) that I'll be in the bottom floor of the Metro parking lot, in the car, unable to move because of contractions, unable to make a phone call...soaking the seat of the Mini Cooper.  (Okay, so I thought it was a funny story, and come to find out...No one thinks it is the tiniest bit funny)

Here he was trying to be serious, and I'm laughing it up at the idea of being in the car at Temple and Glendale, on my way to pick him up at the office, as we calmly make our way to the hospital. 

I know the labor part will be painful, but I grew up around women who had their babies during the afternoon, when their partners were at work, they had to drive themselves to the doctors office, and hope that the message left somewhere at the shipyard got to their partner on time.  I figure if I'm by myself, and I have an idea the birthing is a couple of hours away, I've got time to finish my time card, stock the printer up, get the car washed, pick up the dry cleaning, and make my way to the hospital.  And, probably post a blog entry...

But, of  course - I could be all wrong in this.  I don't imagine being on the 4th floor of the parking garage when I've been experiencing labor pains.  I don't imagine being alone at the office.  I could imagine standing in line at Starbucks, screaming out in pain...but so did the guy who stood in front of me when he found out they were out of hazelnut syrup.  (What a whiner that guy was) 

In any case, the whole thing has cause me to up my usual amount Twitter updates.  (Note to all - another great use for twitter - tracking pregnant women).  

It reminds me of when my Mommo used to wander around the nursing home.  I'd go to pick her up for something, couldn't find her.  We finally put an alarm on her.  Simple little contraption.  It was a box with a thick pin.  When the pin was pulled, the box would set off a mildly annoying alarm.  You connect the pin to her shirt, and when she exited her wheel chair without assistance, the alarm would go off.

It's almost the same thing, but Twitter is not the least bit annoying.

Long story short - Alex and I are both done being pregnant, not quite ready for a baby.  But, we are getting pretty anxious to see what the little one has in store for us.

12 comments:

shannon said...

just imagine if you had known you were pregnant a whole 3 months earlier...then it would really seem like an eternity!

:)

The Doodle Factory said...

Hello! I've been following your blog for a few days now (found you in a search last week as we weighed the pros and cons of moving into a Barry Shy building).

My boyfriend got a great deal on his mini cooper - bought from a woman who "had to sell" because she was expecting. She lived in the OC though - I guess a kid there automatically means you need an SUV or something.

Do you or your partner have roots in Hawaii (re: Iolani's name).

Ginny-Marie said...

I hope I don't eat my words, but we are SOOO not selling the mini cooper.

That said - it took a concentrated effort to find a car seat and stroller that would fit into the car.

Alex was born in Hawaii. We both felt that Hawaii has a special meaning for us.

And, since she'll be our little princess we wanted to make sure that even if we lived in the littlest of places, she could know she's always will have a palace in Honolulu.

:-)

Li said...

Ginny, hang in there! I remember those last weeks so vividly. You feel like you're going to be pregnant forever, but Iolani will be here sooner than you think.

doodle factory, I live in the same building as Ginny and so far we're very happy. Just today, we put in a service request for our air conditioner and it was fixed within hours. I know Barry Shy has a bad rep, but so far I've had no problems.

pitredish said...

omg, now I want that stroller/carseat/baby lifestyle system! Ha. I'm scared to look at the price. As soon as Walter sees it, there's no way I'd ever be able to talk him into the regular Britac whatever. You must post pictures of it in a Mini...

The Doodle Factory said...

My boyfriend's brother+wife have a two year old AND a newborn and they have yet to relinquish their honda civic coupe, so I'm sure the mini will work out fine. It's funny seeing the mini invasion - my boyfriend's was the first in our parking garage, now there's a fleet of 5 and more that seem to keep popping up! It's really a great city car.

I was born in Hawaii too - lived on the big island for the first 20 years of my life before I came over to the "mainland".

z said...

Hi,
I wanted to let you and other parents know about our kids/parents group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dtlakids/

We have an upcoming play date this Sunday at the FIDM park. Hope to see you there and please get the word out and hopefully we can make downtown a little family friendlier.
Z.

Sandie said...

Hey, Ginny== not to make any predictions about anyone's labor and birthing, but it usually doesn't happen really fast... So you'll have some time to call for a ride from Alex... or your pastor... or someone else who'd be more than glad to get ya. love, Sandie

Anonymous said...

Ginny!!!! This is E. Mandisa...so happy to hear that you and Alex are still together, and that you have a baby on the way...

Guess what????? I moved back to L.A, I am staying for good this time, but right now I am staying in San Diego while I house hunt for a place in L.A...if u know of any houses for rent with great landlords, let me know....

please do contact me...you can hit me up on myspace at www.myspace.com/e_mandisa or you can email me at e.mandisa@gmail.com I can't wait to see you all again, and get caught up on the latest as far as what you've been up to....

wait until you see my son Tone, he's a grown man now...18!!! can u believe it....I'm almost done, and you are just getting started...LOL....give Alex my love, and hope to hear from u very very soon...Love ya....

oh by the way, talked to Jim the other day,can u believe he cut his hair is an ambulance driver and is studying to become a nurse...talk about your 360 degree changes...LOL...take care, talk to you soon...

Anonymous said...

JUST A LITTLE FYI
I went in with Lydia at 6 am to be induced ( she was a week late) and she made her grand entrance at 1:18 the next morning( randy slept at the hospital and you called very often .
Benn was 12 hrs because he was induced ( went in at 530 am and he made his entrance at 530 PM
Jillian was the only natural one - NO TIME FOR PAIN KILLERS and labor
started at 1230am am and got to the hospital at 630 and came out at 715 I think . I drove myself to the hospital 2 out of 3 times
-- you know

Ginny-Marie said...

#2 anonymous is my sister.

E.Mandisa said...

Ginny...I would love to hear from you, and Love to hook up with you and Alex when i get settled in L.A, please email me...you can reach me at e.mandisa@gmail.com