Ain't No Santa Claus

When I was 10 or something, I remember setting up camp in my dad's lazyboy to wait for Santa Claus. Thankfully it was Christmas Eve. In any case, kids at school told me he didn't exist, and I had this sinking feeling that they were right, but I still had to see it for myself.

I had my blanket, stuffed animals, flashlight, and alarm clock. I positioned the chair so that I could see the front door, window, and Christmas tree. I was ready for Santa Claus to come and finish off the gift-giving. 11 p.m. , Midnight, 3 a.m., all came and went with no action.

When my alarm clock went off at 4 a.m., my mom came down the hallway to break the news – No Santa Claus, and if I didn't get into bed the remaining gifts wouldn't be placed under the tree.

So, I went to bed – for an hour. My brother and sister woke up at 5 a.m. ready for stockings, and to shake the presents that Santa left. I didn't say anything to them, they needed to figure it out for themselves.

There was a DVD floating around ArtWalk last night, and it is said to have on it remarks made by the President of DLANC at a December 6 CRA Board Meeting regarding the Skid Row Vision Plan.

I'm set to pick up my copy from the CRA on monday, not because I want to join in some kind of aggression, but rather I'm having a tough time facing the fact that something outrageous might have been said by someone I've been supporting with my good words through the neighborhood, and in my own circle of friends. If what was said was true, I can't in good faith be a supporter.

It's kind of like that night I was waiting for Santa Claus, and the disappointment I felt when I realized that my classmates were right.

Apologies don't fix broken trusts. Especially when the apologies I've heard just don't seem sincere.

When people make apologies for you, and the claim of defense is that you have a million things on your plate, maybe it is time to consider prioritizing?

Or maybe I should start prioritizing differently?

No comments: