Bye Bye Kevin


From: Kevin Hummer
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 7:06 AM
To: Kevin Hummer
Subject:

This is like one of those potentially creepy videos you get from a Lawyer once someone dies. In fact if you have received this e-mail I have done just that . I did just mention that this could be a little weird. This however shouldn't come as a shock considering how crazy I am/was. I'm sure I'll mess up tenses here and there. Yes, it is true I have moved on to ________ (you choose my destination and fill in here).

I am sending this to my friends and loved ones who have given me support and compassion throughout my fight with cancer; although I really do/did hate that phrase, it's right up there with "everybody's cancer is different." Bloody hell it is, it pretty much sucks big time for everyone it touches. Oops, that sounds a bit rough; I really had no bitterness about the experience. It was just one of those random things. I have been truly lucky to have had a most resplendent life with no wants or regrets, along with some terrific people who have helped me along the way.

So, cheers to all my friends that I love and have had the fortune of sharing good times together. I hope that you will raise a glass and remember me with fond memories (still a little lingering ego). You know that I will most certainly miss my cocktails.

Now to end my note with a favorite poem (if one can have a favorite poem about death) from a much-lauded bent Englishman, entitled "Funeral Blues." For those of you who don't fancy poetry you might recall it from the movie "Four Weddings and a Funeral."

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

-- W.H. Auden

Okay it's Kleenex time! I love you lots!!!

Kevin

<<...>>

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew the late Kevin Hummer and was looking for something regarding his recent death. I'm so fortunate to have known him and I'll be attending the gathering in his honor. He was a great guy. Ave atque vale (hail and farewell).

Dru said...

I also knew Kev and tried to make the gathering but am up in Los Osos, CA and hit by major rain storms. I'm interested in how it was...I can't believe he's gone.