Later that day....

I'm on my way home from another day of work. I'm tired. Plus, I just got off the phone with my sister, who points out that my life - while hectic in on my terms - is a walk in the park.

She has three kids, all under 5.

Everytime I call I have to listen hard to hear her voice over the background of Lydia, who is just as chatty as her mother. Ben's whimpers. And, Jill's chanting and yelling. I used to think the train was the distraction - but now I know...it's the kids. :-)

I don't have any children, and I'm not seeing any on the horizon. Mostly because I like my work, I like the life that Alex and I have, and I know that having children would change all that. It's not a matter of being selfish and not wanting to share. If anything, it's the drive to live smaller and smaller, and use less of the world's finite resources.

Also, my sister has 3 kids. My brother has 4 with another on the way. That's 7 kids, 7 sets of Christmas gifts (which I had trouble getting to when there were just two couples), 7 different birthdays (And, I admit - I don't know them all) - 8 by January. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Think about those mouths that must be fed, clothed. Some of them need to be burped, changed. Occasionally they need to go to the doctor. They need bikes, helmets. Then, (!!!) they need school, pencils, pens, paper. Computers, calculators, College...I'm having a spaz attack just thinking about that! They aren't even my kids.

I need a beer.

I'm too tired to type now. See ya for now.

No comments: